Fire broke out on Monday morning at the popular Oba market in Benin, Edo State.
Although the cause of the fire has not been confirmed, it is said to have begun at midnight.
The Federal Fire Service Zone K tweeted,
“At about 1:00hrs this morning Men of Federal Fire Service Zone K Edo command turned out to combat a raging inferno at Oba market ring road Benin City Edo State. In attendance are Nigerian Army, Nigerian Air force, NPDC, and UNIBEN fire service.”
The cause of fire has not been revealed. According to reports, there was no power supply in the area at the time the fire began, thereby ruling out the possibility of an electrical fault.
Traders were heartbroken as they arrive the market this morning to find their means of livelihood destroyed.