Effective January 1, 2020
Updated: 26th October, 2020
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Information We Collect
- How We Use the Information Collected
- How We Share the Information Collected
- Your Rights & Your Choices
- Retention of Your Information
- Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
- Links to Third Party Sites
- Special Note For Parents
- Contact Us: Data Privacy Officer
For the avoidance of doubt, this Policy also does not pertain to the editorial activities of our Publications, journalists, editors, photographers and other editorial staff who may collect, publish and distribute information about you from sources unrelated to your use of the Services (collectively, “Editorial Activities”). Without limiting the foregoing, this Policy does not apply to any Editorial Activities concerning information that you may share at any of our conferences, summits, panels or other events.
Globaltellblog’s subsidiaries and affiliates .This may be updated from time to time. For the avoidance of doubt, this Policy does not apply to any websites operated by third parties publishing foreign editions of the Publications and related websites and digital properties.
2. Information We Collect
We obtain information about you through the means discussed below when you use our Services. The information we collect and the purposes for which we use it will depend to some extent on the specific Services you use and how you interact with Globaltellblog. For example, we collect the information you provide when you subscribe to our Publications, complete a survey, participate in a reader panel, register for a part of our Services, register for an event, make a purchase of goods or services, request a refund, participate in our social networking features, subscribe to newsletters and other electronic services, or send us an email or feedback. If you elect to post material to any blogs or forums, or participate in our social networking features or other community boards that may be offered on our Services, then such materials will be collected and some information may be publicly available for others to view. We, or our service providers on our behalf, may collect the following information about you.
Information You Provide Us With:
- Customer service information such as questions and other messages you address to us directly through online forms, by email, over the phone, or by post; and summaries or voice recordings of your interactions with Globaltellblog
- Registration, Contact Information or Subscription such as e-mail address, name, phone number, shipping address, and billing information
- Demographic, statistical and interest information such as your age date of birth, gender, interests, hobbies and lifestyle information.
- Financial and transactional information such as credit or debit card number, verification number, and expiration date, to process payments and information about your transactions and purchases with us
- User-generated content such as comments on articles, photos, videos, audio, or any information you submit in public forums or message boards, reviews and feedback or testimonials you provide about our Services
- Contact Information about others, (including personal identifiers) such as name and mailing address to send a gift or use our send-to-a-friend functionality. If you use send-a-friend on our Services, your email address may be included in the communication sent to your friend.
- Social media information (which may include contact information, photos, location, demographic information, user generated content) if you link your account or access the Services through a third-party connection or log-in, we may have access to any information you provide to social network depending on your privacy settings such as your name, email address, friend list, photo, gender, location, and current city; and information you provide to us directly through our pages on social networking and blogging platforms (e.g., Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, WordPress, and Printerest)
- Research, survey information (including contact information and user generated content) collected if you participate in a survey
- Other information any other information you choose to directly provide Globaltellblog in connection with your use of the Services
Information from Third Parties:
Information outlined above may be collected, such as social media information, from other sources including public and commercial data sources, affiliates, entities providing conferences and other event, marketers, social media networks, in accordance with your privacy preferences on such services, and partners such as those providing surveys with us. We use this information to update, validate or supplement the information that you provide or we collected automatically, to target our communications so that we can inform you of products, services and offers that may be of interest, and for internal business analysis or other business purposes. We collect that information other users of the Services provide information about you, such as your name and mailing address to send a gift or to use our send-to-a-friend functionality.
Information Collected Automatically:
- Identifiers and Device information such as device type; browser type and language; IP address; operating system; platform type; software and hardware attributes; and unique device, advertising, and app identifiers
- Internet network and device activity data such as information about files you download, domain names, landing pages, browsing activity, content or ads viewed and clicked, dates and times of access, pages viewed, forms you complete or partially complete, search terms, uploads or downloads, the URL that referred you to our Services, the web sites you visit after this web site; if you share our content to social media platforms; and other web usage activity and data logged by our web servers, whether you open an email and your interaction with email content, access times, error logs, and other similar information.
- Geo-location information such as city, state and ZIP code associated with your IP address and precise geo-location information from GPS-based functionality on your mobile devices, with your permission in accordance with your mobile device settings
How do you protect my personal information?
- We’re strongly committed to keeping you and your family’s information safe. And to do this we design our services with your safety in mind. We also have dedicated teams to look after your information security and privacy.
- At the same time, no service can be completely secure.
Where we store your information
Some companies that provide services to us run their services from outside Nigeria/the European Economic Area. We only let that happen if we are satisfied with their levels of security. Keep in mind that when you give us personal information it could be transferred, stored or processed in a location outside Nigeria/Africa/the EEA.
3. How We Use the Information Collected
Depending on the Services you use and how you use them, we, or our service providers, may use your information to:
- Communicate with You & Provide Customer Service to Provide the Services, Example:
- Provide transactional or service communications, such as to notify you, when we make changes to subscriber agreements, send you an email newsletter,
- Respond to your requests for information
- Provide you with customer service and technical support
- Personalize your experience to Provide the Services, example to:
- Customize the advertising on the Services based on your activities and interests
- Create and update inferences about you and audience segments that can be used for targeted advertising and marketing on the Services, third party services and platforms, and mobile apps
- Create profiles about you, including adding and combining information we obtain from third parties, which may be used for analytics, marketing, and advertising
- Conduct cross-device tracking by using information such as IP addresses and unique mobile device identifiers to identify the same unique users across multiple browsers or devices (such as smartphones or tablets, in order to save your preferences across devices and analyze usage of the Service.
- Republish Information You Provide on the Services, example to:
- pursuant to our Terms, use and edit information submitted by you in response to opportunities provided on the Services, which you provide to us through emails, blogs, forums, in response to polls, or through any other user generated submission, for editorial purposes, including your name, likeness, photograph, and biographical information you provide, with or without attribution, including publication in the Publications, and in trade media, and advertising
We may combine the information we collect about you, including from third parties, and conduct cross-device tracking for the marketing and advertising purposes above.
- Bug detection and error reporting, including to understand and resolve technical issues, app crashes and other issues being reported
- Audit consumer interactions on the Services including to measure the placement, frequency, efficacy and compliance of advertising and ad impressions
4. How We Share the Information Collected
We may (and you authorize us to) share or disclose information collected from and about you on the Services to other companies or individuals as set forth below.
- Service Providers. We may provide access to information to vendors that are performing services on our behalf, including fulfilling subscriptions to our Publications, processing and fulfilling orders for other goods and services, managing our email lists and sending email messages on our behalf, processing payments, providing customer support, analytics providers, and performing other administrative services, in order to carry out such services.
- Third Parties for Marketing Purposes. We may share your information with partners whose offerings may interest you such as other marketers, magazine publishers, retailers, participatory databases and non-profit organizations. This includes licensing information about your interests and activities, and marketing segments created with such data, which we may share with third parties for their marketing purposes.
5. Your Rights and Your Cookies
Please note that if you exercise the opt out choices; you will still see advertising when you use the Services, but it will not be tailored to you based on your online behavior over time.
What are my rights?
Remember, you’re in control of your personal information.
You have the right to:
- Request a copy of your information.
- Not let robots make big decisions about you.
- To ask us to correct information that’s wrong, to delete it or to request that we only use it for certain purposes.
- To change your mind, and ask us to stop using your information. For example, unsubscribing from any marketing emails or turning off personalization.
Bear in mind, sometimes we might not be able to help. Like if the law tells us we can’t or it forms part of our journalistic output.
- What are cookies and tracking technologies?
If you don’t agree to the changes, then you can always stop using our services, delete your account and stop giving us any more personal information. We’d be sorry to see you go.
6. Retention of Your Information
We keep your information for no longer than necessary for the purposes for which it is processed. The length of time for which we retain information depends on the purposes for which we collected and use it and/or as required to comply with applicable laws.
7. Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies.
Cookies are bits of data which are stored in your computer or mobile when you visit a website or app.
There are also similar pieces of tracking information we collect.
To do a few different things:
- To remember information about you, so you don’t have to give it to us again. And again. And again.
- To keep you signed in, even on different devices
- To help us understand how people are using our services, so we can make them better
- To deliver advertising to websites outside of the Nigeria and Europe
- To help us personalize Globaltellblog to you by remembering your preferences and settings.
- To find out if our emails have been read and if you find them useful
A few things on our website wouldn’t work without some cookies. Tech people call these “strictly necessary cookies”. They’re always on when you visit us.
But we want to use others like functional, performance and advertising cookies to make your experience more enjoyable. We’ll only use them if you’ve agreed. You can always change your mind.
Bear in mind there are some other cookies out there from other companies. These “third-party cookies” might track how you use different websites, including ours. For example, you might get a social media company’s cookie when you see the option to share something. You can turn them off, but not through us.
- How long do cookies last?
Some are erased when you close the browser on your website or app. Others stay longer, sometimes forever, and are saved onto your device so they’re there when you come back.
8. Links to Third Party Sites
We implement appropriate administrative, technical and security safeguards to help prevent unauthorized access, use, or disclosure of the information we collect. However, no systems can be completely secure. Therefore, while Globaltellblog uses reasonable efforts to protect your information, Globaltellblog cannot guarantee its absolute security, and your use of the Services indicates your agreement to assume this risk.
10. Special Note for Parents
The Services are for a general audience and are not designed or intended for use by children, especially those under age thirteen (13) or sixteen (16) in the EU.
12. Contact Us: Data Privacy Officer